Monday 22 April 2013

Perils of seaplane travel from Cortes circa 1950


I took the kids to the doctor in Campbell River last week and what a frightening trip we I had.  The plane, just after leaving the water, was caught by a down draft and landed back on the water, hard.  The pilot had to scramble out onto the pontoon to make sure the plane didn’t tip, Barbie was screaming and I did a very sensible thing – I kicked off my boots in case we also had to get out.  The pilot did keep the plane level but we had to take off again, which scared Barbie anew.  Little Nancy was completely contained, but white.  I had to go to the doctor in Campbell River, too and he poked my finger several times but was unable to get any blood.  I told him about what had happened on the plane and he said that fear could do that – makes all the blood leave your fingers and toes.  Isn’t it funny it didn’t bother weevly little Nancy.  Barbie screamed last night and when I went in there she was looking all around the room terrifiedly and kept yelling, “Let me out of here, the water is coming in.”  We had to take her to our bed before she would settle down at all.

Now the kids are playing boat with the two armchairs pushed together and I can hear their conversation.  Barbie apparently pointed out a plane to Nancy in a magazine and said it was no good because planes tipped over and Nancy said they didn’t and told her just one plane did it because it didn’t have a strong wing and it flew again and it didn’t tip over.  Barbie said hopefully that she didn’t cry and Nancy said crushingly that she howled all the way over and then Nancy told Barbie how she looked out of the window of the plane and saw little houses on the sandy beach.  They both talked enthusiastically about planes then.  Maybe Nancy will get Barbie swung over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment