Tuesday 16 April 2013

Making butter/bathing kids - Mom's letter circa 1950 - Cortes Island


We’ve had a sick cow lately, she’s better now but she disowned her calf so now we have to feed it, which takes up so much extra time.  This farming’s a mug’s game and I’d be glad if Jimmy gave it up.  He hasn’t the energy or the patience to look after things properly and the logging and a bit of gardening seems enough to me. 

Today I made a ghastly error.  I drained the skim milk into a pan to put aside to feed the calf later and then mixed the liquid for the bread in another pan with the salt etc, I tossed the yeast mixture into the skim milk, thinking it was the liquid for the bread, and happily made my bread.  When I started to take the skim milk out to the calf, I discovered my mistake.  I worked the sugar and salt and a bit of water into the bread dough but it doesn’t taste awfully good and is a bit heavy so I will put it aside for the livestock and bake again.
 
While I mixed that first batch of bread I banged my head so hard on the darn cupboard door that will never stay closed.  Nancy consoled me by saying “Tomorrow it might get better” which I thought rather cold comfort as I reeled and staggered in agony.


         Our ornery cow, Zero, is calving in the next week or so. Jimmy never did get her milking last time, as she is hellish stubborn but hope he does this time. It burns me up not getting the milk as I could take on a whole bunch more butter customers. I make good butter and whenever I need a new customer, I donate some to them as a thank you for some favour they do for me. Next thing I know they want to buy my butter every week. 

          That’s what I did to get Molly to buy from me. She just arrived to pick some up and went to see the kids as they were having their bath. Barbie looked up at Molly happily and decided to make correct small talk. “I have a hole in my fanny,” says she. Molly laughed merrily. Nancy’s belly button was smeared all around with lipstick. What attractive kiddies to be sure.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment