Sunday 21 April 2013

Nancy, the writer, as a child from Mom's letters circa 1948


"Then Nancy walked into the kitchen shooing something in front of her.  “What’s that?” I said.  “Dat’s Atun, dat’s Addle, dat’s a lamb, dat’s a mice,” says she meaning Elton, Daddy, a lamb and a mouse." 

"Nancy has happily chanted out, “Humpy Dumpy sat on a wall,” and followed it with “Now what will we say, mum?” to which I testily replied I would say nothing which should have rocked her back on her heels somewhat but hasn't.  She is swinging into Georgie Porgie, figures if she gets enough said I'll be so deep in her debt, I'll just have to come back with Ride a Cock Horse or something. She adores Taffy was a Welshman. You should hear her say, “Hicky Dicky Dock, the mouse wan up the clock.” and “Bye Baby bunting, Daddy's hunting, He's gone to get a wabbit skin to put him's baby bunting in.” I hope to find a Mother Goose book; it will be such a shock to her when she learns to read and finds out the real words to some of them.  How I long to sit down and read something adult."
This same Nancy grew up to write "The Pathfinder: AC Anderson's Journeys in the West". Her blog is wwww.furtradefamilyhistory.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment