Friday 26 April 2013

Mom and the fire warden cortes island circa 1950


Oh Heavens, I just had a most humiliating experience.  The new agitator for the washer came and the washer was going bang bang and I never hear cars come or people knock.  There is always a lot of mess the day after mail day and I was cleaning it all up and piling paper and envelopes on a big piece of corrugated, then I rolled the corrugated up with the papers inside it and went to burn it outside although it is fire season.  It was a bit windy outside so I took a match and lit it inside then carried the mildly burning stuff out to plunk it in the yard to burn and I ran into the fire warden at the door.  I let out a bona fide girlish scream and blew my flaming pyre out.  He laughed.  I couldn’t very well stand and talk and let it blaze up, nor could I bravely stick it in a corner and let the house burn down, nor could I nonchalantly keep on going out in the yard and burn it.  He was looking for Elton and Jimmy to see if they have the right fire equipment and I daresay he will order them to get a set of picks and shovels and extinguishers for our yard. 

Thank the heavens he wasn’t here yesterday. Elton burned a lot of garbage but seeing as it’s fire season I can’t even put this in my column.  After we burn garbage, we put tin cans and anything else that hasn’t fully burned into a sack so we can dump them later.  I went outside and saw smoke billowing from the sack of tin cans we hang on the side of the feedshed.  I tried to lift it off and it burst into flames.  I screeched for Elton and he came out and helped me tow it away from the shed.  He had put the remains of a shoe he had burned into the sack and it was just hot enough to start the fire.  Imagine if we had gone out – everything is so dry.  I didn’t tell that to the fire warden.

This being a day of high drama I’d best go and look for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment